Sunday, August 29, 2010

check check

When I was doing the Daniel Fast I had the privilege of incorporating some new foods into my diet. After all, if I was only allowed fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and water I was going to have to break out of my pantry staples of bananas, sweet potatoes, and almonds if I wanted to make it 10 days without getting sick of my favs. Enter lychees and plantains. Both were on my list of "10 Foods from 10 Countries to eat in 2010" so I thought...perfect!

Getting lychees was kind of an experience all in its own...Brie and I were early for church in VA Beach one night when we spotted this little jem...
And for just under $5, we brought home these goodies...
For those of you who are unfamiliar, a lychee is a fruit.

They taste kind of like these...
But look like this...
Not to be confused with this...

They kind of taste like a sweeter version of a pear, but both of us had a hard time getting over the brain-like consistency and slimy texture. Eat at your own risk.

Plantains, on the other hand, were a completely different story. I thought they were DELICIOUS! But they were pan fried - so maybe that had something to do with it. I think that traditionally they are fried with some sort of sweetener (brown sugar, regular sugar, honey...) but since I wasn't allowed sweets on the Daniel Fast I had to have them plain with oil. Fine by me. I googled how to fry plantains and went to town. I was really surprised to taste them and find out that they weren't super sweet. I guess I was thinking they would taste more like a banana, when really, they were kind of like potatoes. I feel like fried plantains are the Jamaican's version of a french fry or thick potato chip. Either way, I was sold. I'll definitely make these again.
Yummy, right?

Two more countries/foods off the list! Check! Check!

1 comment:

  1. I saw Lychees at Kroger the other day!! Thought of you. :)
    I miss you, Miranda!! <3
    Hope you are well! I'm enjoying following your blog!

    ReplyDelete