Friday, June 11, 2010

its your life...whatcha gonna do?

5 Things I wanted to be when I was a kid:

1. Movie star. This was a long-running aspiration mostly because I think I liked the idea that being an actress allowed me to be all the other things I wanted (see below) without the hard work involved in getting there. Get paid to play pretend? Works for me! I was so convinced I was going to have my own TV show growing up - I made videos, stole the spotlight from my friends, craved attention, etc. This dream was really cute until about middle school when people stopped replying with, “Awwwwww” and started to say, “No, really?” Ummm…I was for real.2. Dolphin Trainer. I went through a phase of life where I loved dolphins. They were plastered all over my walls and I thought vacay to Sea World was the coolest thing I had ever done. Sometimes I think it would still be fun, until I smell fish and remember how stinky that job would be when you had to feed them. Pass.3. Professional ___________ Player. Fill in the blank with whatever sport I was playing at the time and that is I wanted to be. Popular fill-in-the-blanks included; ballerina (as evidenced by the high top bun I wore my hair in practically every day for a year), soccer (specifically around 2001 when WUSA came out), and field hockey.4. Back up dancer for Missy Elliot. Have you seen her videos? This doesn’t even need an explanation.5. Brain Surgeon. I blame TV for this one. I saw a “brain surgery” on a fictional hospital-themed primetime TV show and was convinced it was my calling for life. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen.
Isn’t it kind of funny to look at where you are and look back at what you thought you’d be doing? Sometimes I wonder if my 10-year-old self would have been disappointed if I had known I wouldn’t have ended up doing any of those crazy dreams. But then again, who’s to say I won’t?

1 comment:

  1. this was a great post! and i love the song, "its your life" by franny batistelli!!!

    ReplyDelete