Tuesday, November 3, 2009

today's exercise: running late

So this morning my efforts to not run late for work failed. When I worked in NYC I walked to work most mornings, usually (& thankfully) over-estimating my walk. You see, with walking, you never really know how long it will take because there are so many determining factors – how fast you are walking, crowds, sights to see, and I think we all remember how distracting cupcake trucks can be! With driving though, I pretty much know down to the minute how long it will take me to get to work. So if it takes me x amount of minutes to get to work, I usually leave my apartment with x amount of time to spare. This morning as I was making my coffee (keep in mind this is instant coffee – made with the purpose of keeping me awake and not a barista creation I made for my own personal enjoyment) I may have been in a slight rush and knocked over a glass that, of course, shattered all over the kitchen floor and my bare feet. I cleaned up the mess and tried not to cry – I’m pretty sure playing Street Fighter 2 for an hour with Allison last night helped toughen me up. Then I grabbed my cup of instant coffee and got myself to work. When I pulled into the parking lot “Party in the USA” was on so I sat in my car long enough to finish belting the chorus. I was running late already anyways. I got to work and didn’t look at the clock but I’m pretty sure I was right on the money for time so I was feeling pretty good…until I went to plug in my computer and saw WW2 bloodshed all over my feet and my favorite shoes!!! Good thing I planned ahead. Cute shoes are never comfortable so I had slipped a few band-aids in my bag for the blisters I knew would result in my shoe choice. Awesome. I then proceeded to google "how to remove glass pieces from feet" which was very helpful. So needless to say, I’ve had quite the morning. I think I will reward this morning’s bravery with the leftover Halloween candy I bought on Sunday. I’m pretty sure the only thing better than Halloween is the day after Halloween. If you happen to have extra caramel apple & pumpkin spice Hershey kisses laying around then feel free to try out my latest recipe. Brie said they taste like fall in your mouth!

AWESOME AUTUMN COOKIES

Ingredients:

2 ¼ cup flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup butter (softened)

¾ cup packed light brown sugar

¼ cup sugar

1 package instant vanilla pudding mix

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

½ cup caramel bits

10-12 caramel apple Hershey kisses (chopped)

10-12 pumpkin spice Hershey kisses (chopped)

2 tablespoons white sugar

¼ tsp cinnamon

¼ tsp nutmeg

¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix together pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of white sugar. Set aside.
3. Unwrap and chop hershey kisses into bits. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, sift together flour and baking soda. Set aside.
5. Cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl.
6. Beat in pudding mix.
7. Add vanilla and eggs, beating after each egg.
8. Blend in the flour mixture.
9. Stir in caramel bits & chopped hershey kisses.
10. Roll dough into small balls and roll the balls in the sugar mix, until completely covered.
11. Place cookie dough 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
12. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

* The caramel apple kisses are super sticky, but don’t get frustrated and give up when chopping them – they taste amazing in the cookies!


* Also, if you have caramel bits on the bottom of your cookie dough ball, consider putting a little flour on the cookie sheet. The caramel bits have a tendency to stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment