Monday, October 19, 2009

i've gone country

This weekend I went up to LU to have a little reunion with my bffs for homecoming. It was so much fun getting to see everyone and catch up. On Saturday, my dream of visiting an apple orchard was finally fulfilled! This is a big accomplishment because recently I have been complaining to my mom about all of the "country" things I have never done before. This list includes, but is not limited to: owning cowboy boots, apple picking, camping in a tent, going through a corn maze, and making a ring out of a peach pit. I am from Virginia, ya know. My mom's response was simply, "I wanted to raise you girls in the country..." Awww don't beat yourself up about it Mom, I'd rather be around the corner from a mall than a corn field any day.

Anyways, Jess & her parents took me out to Bedford for the Apple Festival at Gross Orchard. It was quite the experience. For starters, on the half hour drive over we saw a dead black bear. I repeat, a dead black bear. I think the last time I saw a black bear that close was at the zoo in DC. Sweet. The rest of the day was filled with lots of firsts - I picked an apple off a tree for the first time, taste tested fried apple pie & brunswick stew, and tried out a marshmallow shooter. I loved every minute of it. Seriously, it was great. It kinda felt like I was in a different country. I stuck out like a sore thumb. Mrs. Carniol bought us a jar of apple butter for a souvenir before we left so I got to bring a piece of the country goodness home...yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment