Sunday, August 23, 2009

my so called life

Now you are probably asking yourself, "what has Miranda been up to?" and the answer is...a whole lot of nothing. I seriously debated for a long time whether or not I should even keep this blog now that I am home from NYC, but I think the irony of my life is too funny not to document.

I have mixed feelings about being home. Don't get me wrong, I love it here. I really do. But its definitely different. I had a hard time falling asleep the first few nights - I blame it on not having sirens and flashing lights outside my window to help lull me to sleep. I feel like I've kinda taken a huge time out from life this week...I didn't wear make-up, or do my hair, and my wardrobe consisted of old American Apparel t-shirts & soccer shorts. It was like my own personal rebellion against the standards of this world. It was liberating.

This weekend I made a trip up to Lynchburg to visit some of my best friends. It was really nice to see them & catch up. Friday night I met everyone at Whitney's house and we sat around a bonfire and stuffed ourselves with s'mores. And by "ourselves" I mean "myself." I think that was the first time I saw stars all summer. Isn't that bizarre? You can't see very many stars in NYC. We even got to watch a summer storm come in. Saturday the girls woke up to Whitney's dad's famous blueberry waffles and we lounged around the house all day in our pj's.

All of my closest girl friends from school started this traveling recipe book - its something fun to do while we are all split apart and it helps us stay in touch. What you do is...cook the current recipe in the book, document and include a picture (where you were, who you shared the recipe with, what you've been up to, etc), put in a new recipe, & pass along the book. Does that make sense? We are going to cover the front of the book with all of the postage stamps used to send the book around & once it gets REALLY full we want to have copies made and bound for all of the girls. Its a really fun idea. There are 7 of us (Jen, Sarah, Jessica, Whitney, Kerri, Brooke, and I) so we should get the book about twice a year.

Anyways, Saturday night we went up to the Snowflex! It is the only snowless ski slope in the Western Hemisphere and its on my alma mater's campus. Of course. It looked awesome/dangerous. The slope kinda felt like velcro but it sounded JUST like snow when you walked on it or ski/snowboarded. One of my friends said they averaged two major injuries a night. Yipes. Check it out...

My weekend excursion was probably the most eventful thing that has happened to me since I've been home. I have used a lot of my "down time" this week to brainstorm new short term goals to at least trick myself into thinking my life has some sort of purpose. Here are some of the ideas you can expect to see my blog filled with in the future...

1. Try every flavor of something. I've always wanted to do it. Maybe Baskin Robbins 31 flavors? Or something a little crazier? Stay tuned.
2. Get my bakery back up & running. My bakery is getting a makeover & will be back better than ever! We even have a new name - Lil Tubbies Bake Shop. I made the first batch of test run cupcakes this weekend, "Campfire Cuties" (aka s'mores), and I think they were a hit...
3. Document an entire month in pictures. "The September Project" coming to you September 1st.
4. Cook Amish Friendship Bread every 10 days for a year. Don't hold your breath on this one, but I think it would be kind of fun. I am currently obsessed with the stuff & there are so many different combinations you could make! I could easily come up with 36, right? Here are my first two stabs...
The top one is my sister's variation - 1 package instant banana cream pudding, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, & a handful of white chocolate chips. My variation is on the bottom - 2 packages instant lemon cream pudding, lemon zest, & 1/2 cup wild blueberries. Both were delish (I liked Brie's better though) Let me know if you want the recipe and some starter dough, I'm sure I will have plenty to go around!
5. Train for a half marathon. This idea was inspired by ideas 1, 2, & 4 - otherwise I will turn into Violet from Willy Wonka.

That's all. Other than the ultimate goal of finding a job. And not even just any job. The more I think about it, the more afraid I am of getting stuck with a job I hate. God has given me such a clear vision of what He wants me to do with my life that I would hate to fill my life with something temporary just because of my impatience. At the same time, I can't expect everything to fall into my lap. Tomorrow I promised myself to go on a long prayer walk to sort things out. In the words of Miley Cyrus, "Life's a climb."

No comments:

Post a Comment