Sunday, July 5, 2009

the 212

I am just finishing up another wonderful weekend in the city. I had a blast and now I am literally beat. Like I could fall asleep as I type this.

Jess & Nathan came up to visit Friday and we explored all through Manhattan. We had lunch in Greenwich Village and then went down to Chinatown - an adventure all on its own. Nathan was a trooper as Jess and I sifted through tons and tons of designer bags. We finally came across two Coach bags that fit our fancy and Nathan took care of the rest - how sweet :) After our successful shopping trip, we headed uptown to Central Park. It was the perfect weather outside so we spent a lot of time just roaming around. We eventually made our way down to Times
Square and grabbed Ray's for dinner and (of course) Crumbs cupcakes for dessert! Nathan had a pink strawberry banana cupcake with strawberry gummis on top, Jess had the "elvis" with peanut butter and banana frosting, and I had a raspberry chocolate cupcake with chocolate chips and raspberry jam filling. It is my favorite Crumbs cupcake so far. We were people watching at the Rockefeller Plaza when Nathan and Jess agreed that there was no way they could leave that night - perfect! Instead of heading home, we went up to the Top of the Rock. The city is so beautiful at night and all of the buildings were lit up in red, white, and blue for the 4th of July. Check out the Empire State Building...The next morning we got up early and went to Coney Island for the hot dog eating contest! Props to Joey Chesnut for reppin' the USA. There were SO many people there. It was crazy. All we could see in front and behind us were tons and tons of people. We had to wait around a little while for the contest to start, but it was well worth the wait. After watching the contestants literally stuff their faces with hot dogs, we went and enjoyed the famous dog ourselves. Yum!
When we got back to Manhattan I said goodbye to Jess and Nathan and then came back to the apartment to meet up with Katie and her roommate Courtney for the Macy's Fireworks. We went down to Chelsea Pier to watch them and it ended up being a great spot!
This morning I got up and went to the Journey on the Upper West Side - all 4 locations were together this morning. When I got back to Midtown I met up with Katie and we went to brunch on the Upper East Side at a place called Alice's Tea Cup. It was really cute and everything was Alice in Wonderland themed. My eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach when I ordered. I had oatmeal with raspberry swirls and fruit, a pumpkin scone, and my own pot of Roobios Coconut Vanilla tea. Everything was delicious. I already want to go back again.
When we were finished stuffing our faces, we caught the tram over to Roosevelt Island where we paid 25 cents, yes a mere quarter, for a bus ride around the two mile island. The ride over was pretty but the Island itself was kinda weird. Katie and I kept trying to figure out what was so different, but we couldn't quite pinpoint it. On the ride back to Manhattan we picked up a visitors guide that informed us of all the creepy medical stuff that took place there back in the day. Can't say I'll be going there at night anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment