Monday, June 29, 2009

sunny with a chance of rain

This morning I woke up and as per usual I rocked the rose-colored sunglasses...a trait I have clearly inherited from my dad. And I just want to clear up for everyone who is worried about this little girl in the big city - I am doing great. Really. I love NYC. I love what I'm doing. And, believe it or not, even though life in the big city can sometimes be lonely, I have found an indescribable comfort and peace from the Lord. My blog is definitely censored. The raw uncut version sometimes goes out to my close family via e-mail (you can't subscribe to that sort of insight, sorry!) But I think I mostly don't include the sad parts because thats not how I like to remember my journey. However, after having a semi-meltdown at work today, I thought I'd share some of the lows as well because those are the times that God really reveals himself. This morning as I was reading my devo I came across 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 which says, "We are afflicted in every way but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed." God is in control regardless of my circumstances. He was with me on Friday when I wandered around the city alone, and on Saturday when I was literally shaking with fear, and He was with me today when a long day at work brought on crocodile tears. It is definitely a test of faith to be a Christian in this city and its sometimes lonely but I am so thankful for a heavenly father who has promised to never leave my side. My ipod has been stuck on an old Jaci Valesquez song that has been a great reminder of God's love. I hope you find encouragement from these lyrics too...

"If This World"
Do you feel you've been disowned
Left outside in the cold
And without a home?
Do you think that no one cares
That you're lost an alone
And without a prayer?

Don't give in to the lie
That there's no one you can turn to
Don't lose heart, there is hope
There is someone who will never desert you

If this world is a lonely place for you
Fall into the arms of love
If this world is a lonely place for you
There's a God who you can trust
Who'll comfort you and lift you up

Are you looking for a friend
Who will stand by your side
To the very end?
Someone who is always true
To his word, be assured
He won't turn from you

Put your faith in the One
Who will never let you down
He has proven His love
Open up to all He has for you now

He hears your cry, He sees your tears
He knows your pain and all your fears
He waits for you with open arms
He longs to live inside your heart
You'll never be alone again

No comments:

Post a Comment